2017 English Channel swim

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Countdown to Catalina swim

On Monday night October 17th, my brother Bill and sister-in-law Jean and I will be departing for Catalina Island on the Outrider charter boat with four of their crew. Two Catalina Channel Swim Federation officials will be on board to monitor my swim. I will have a kayaker at my side,too.  My swim will start at midnight Monday(Pacific Time) 3 a.m. Eastern Standard time on Tuesday.  My daughter Sarah will start posting on my blog about 7 a.m. (EST).  She will attempt to update every couple of hours. This swim is a tribute to my brother Johnny who died at the age of 17 in a tragic accident.  I will have his name written on my arm.  And, my swim cap will have the "Swim for Your Heart..Feb 14" logo in memory of Robbie who died of a heart attack at the age of 34. If Mother Nature is on my side and I reach Point Vicente (California), this will be the World Record for the Oldest Women to swim San Pedro Channel commonly known as Catalina Channel.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying that the sharks are in another ocean. Best wishes and prayers to you, Patty. Be strong.

With love,
Judi Hilton

Henley18 said...

Pat; when reading the blog could not help but wonder. When you were growing up did you ever think you would be proud of posting "world record for the oldest"
Hope the weather is kind and that you have a great swim.

Virginia Wilder Cross said...

Pat, we send waves of strength your way. And we pray those waves carry you safely to your goal. Who said OLD was a bad thing!! You are an inspiration to any card carrying AARP member and more than an inspiration to those who have yet to approach "senior" status. We love you.

Ginny Wilder Cross

Anonymous said...

GOOD LUCK PAT, WE WILL BE FOLLOWING YOUR PROGRESS AS USUAL!! WE HAVE NO DOUBTS YOU CAN ACCOMPLISH THIS!!!

Paula said...

My brother Larry in Moss Landing, California said the weather prediction is good for your swim!

You will do well, lovely lady. And I will tell you this, for me, being old is much better than being young!

Happy thoughts,
Paula (YMCA)

Anonymous said...

Best of luck to you Pat. You are an inspiration!!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Pat
Our thoughts, prayers, and positive energy will be with you every stroke of another great swim. Whoever thought one could be so young when they are "old"?

Your BC11 friends